Today, Grand View Health, which includes Bucks County’s first hospital, has provided residents of Bucks and Montgomery counties with comprehensive healthcare services since 1913. Now a century strong, Grand View offers a range of inpatient and outpatient care—particularly emphasizing the areas of surgery and orthopaedics, women’s and children’s health, heart and vascular care, and cancer treatment.
A rainy Sunday afternoon brought three medical men – Dr. Walter H. Brown, Dr. William J. Wilkinson, and Dr. Alfred E. Fretz – together at a home in Richlandtown, PA. An earnest discussion regarding the future of medical care for the people in the area extending from Quakertown to Lansdale brought about a decision to bring the matter before the North Penn Clinical Society. Interest in the new idea grew from physicians present at local monthly Society meetings, and the property – which was comprised of a large home, a small frame dwelling, a small storage house, a barn, and the surrounding farm land – previously in operation as a private sanitarium by Dr. James Pursell, was purchased as the site of the new Grand View Hospital.
Strength is gained through facing and overcoming adversity. Since our humble beginnings in a farmhouse-turned-hospital in 1913, Grand View has met the hardships set before us time and again. It has taken a century to evolve to the organization we are today. Each time Grand View Health has needed to expand to the health care needs of our community, the community has gathered together to provide us with the resources needed.
In 2012, we celebrated our 100th anniversary! Visit our centennial site for historical photos, videos and more!