One out of 10 new mothers experiences postpartum depression or anxiety, which refers to a wide range of feelings including:
- Anxiety or panic
- Persistent feelings of sadness or despair
- Changes in sleep patterns
- Changes in appetite
- Lack of feelings for the baby
- Over-concern for the baby’s health
- Feeling unable to cope
- Feeling hopeless
- Fear of harming yourself or the baby
If you recognize some of these feelings in yourself or someone you love, don’t struggle with them alone, speak with your doctor immediately.
In an emergency call 911, or visit your nearest hospital emergency room.