Acute Rehabilitation Unit
Grand View Health’s Inpatient Rehabilitation services are designed for patients experiencing:
- Limitations in self-care
- Limitations in strength and range of motion
- Impaired mobility
- Cognitive and perceptual deficits
- Speech and communication problems
- Swallowing disorders
Common rehabilitation diagnoses include:
- Stroke (cerebral vascular accident)
- Neurological disorders (including multiple sclerosis, motor neuron diseases, polyneuropathy, Parkinson’s disease and muscular dystrophy)
- Brain and spinal cord injury
- Polyarticular rheumatoid arthritis, systemic vasculidities, and osteoarthritis of three major joints
- Major multiple trauma
- Congenital deformity
- Fracture of the femur
What to Expect
- A seasoned team of health-care professionals to work closely with you throughout your stay. For your comfort and safety, we provide 24-hour nursing support.
- Daily therapy and activities that get you up and out of your bed.
- The opportunity to practice new skills in a relaxed community setting.
- Meals in the dining room, allowing you the opportunity to socialize and share your experiences.
- The warmth and comfort of your own sportswear-no more hospital gowns.
- Welcomed participation from both your family and friends in the goal setting, therapy and educational portions of your program.
- An atmosphere of support, wellness and encouragement.
A Dedicated Team
The Inpatient Rehabilitation team consists of individuals from a variety of specialties:
- Our credentialed Physician Staff is specially trained in rehabilitation. The staff works closely with your physician, consulting specialists and team of nurses and therapists to coordinate your individual treatment. Your physician is the team leader responsible for managing your program and monitoring your progress.
- Our Rehabilitation Nurse cares for your medical needs as well as provides education for self-care, independent living, and disease and disability management. Focused on a continuum of care, he/she ensures the skills you learn during sessions are carried into your evening activities.
- After a thorough evaluation, our Physical Therapist works with you to increase your strength, muscle tone, coordination, posture, endurance, flexibility and mobility using a variety of therapeutic techniques and equipment.
- Our Occupational Therapist teaches you how to adapt your physical capabilities to activities of daily, such as bathing, grooming and dressing and using specialized equipment through individualized exercises and activities. Often, compensatory techniques and adaptive equipment help facilitate independence.
- Our Speech/Language Pathologist identifies areas of deficit to visual and auditory comprehension, attention, memory, communication skill, oral and pharyngeal sensory motor function, and swallowing. The goal is independent communication and appropriate oral function.
- Expert in brain and behavior relationships, our Psychologist develops a plan to aid in your return of cognitive, behavioral and emotional function. He/she is available as medically indicated on a consulting basis.
- Our Dietitian attends to your individual dietary needs and develops a plan for you to follow after you are discharged.
- Our Social Worker/Case Manager provides support and counseling to you and your family and acts as a liaison between your team and other involved parties-such as funding sources, support networks and other medical facilities.
Depending on the specific goals and needs of your program, Grand View Health’s Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit provides the following services:
- Diagnostic radiology
- Laboratory services
- Nutritional counseling
- Pastoral services
- Pharmacy services
- Respiratory therapy
We also make referrals to external providers in the areas of chemical dependency counseling; driver assessment/education; pediatric rehabilitation; rehabilitation engineering; and ventilator-dependent care.
Payment for Services
Many health insurance programs, such as Blue Cross, Medicare, Medical Assistance and other insurers, provide coverage for inpatient rehabilitative care. Fees for services not covered by these traditional insurance programs are established based upon the patient’s ability to pay. As is the policy for all Grand View Health services, patients in need are not denied care due to an inability to pay.