Healthy Beginnings Plus at Grand View Hospital
Part of Grand View Hospital's Birth & Family Center, Healthy Beginnings Plus provides prenatal care for low-income women at no cost. The Birth & Family Center's experienced team of professionals includes board-certified OB/GYN physicians, specially trained nurses, social workers, dietitians, and educators.
Pregnant women with family incomes of up to 185% of federal poverty guidelines are eligible for Healthy Beginnings Plus. Participation in Healthy Beginnings Plus is optional; you may elect to use the traditional Medical Assistance plan.
Services available at no cost:
- Prenatal care
- Instruction on what changes to expect during pregnancy
- Instruction how to take care of yourself and your baby
- All necessary laboratory and ultrasound testing
- Nutritional counseling to help you to eat well while pregnant
- Social work services to help with any problems you are having
- Childbirth and parenting classes, including special classes and support groups for teens
- Special arrangements for those without transportation so prenatal appointments are not missed
- Prenatal vitamins and other prescription medications
- Counseling and education to help you stop smoking
- Referral to perinatologists if genetic testing is needed
- Referrals to community services such as WIC
- Referrals to mental health services such as drug and alcohol counseling and treatment for depression or anxiety
- Postpartum examination six weeks after your baby is born
- Referrals for continued gynecological care
How Do I Know If I Qualify for Healthy Beginnings Plus?
Many women do not realize that they qualify for free medical care during pregnancy under the Medical Assistance Program. The staff at Healthy Beginnings Plus can tell you if you are eligible based on your family income.
Where Will My Baby Be Born?
You will give birth to your baby at Grand View Hospital. All services for you and your baby during your hospital stay are covered by the program. You will have the comfort of knowing that, should special needs arise, Grand View Hospital offers a Level II nursery, providing more intensive newborn care, and 24 hour-a-day coverage by pediatricians from Children's Hospital of Philadelphia (CHOP).
Continued Care After the Baby is Born
When you and your baby go home, a maternity home-care nurse will visit you. She will check on you and your baby. She will also address any health care needs you might have concerning the baby or yourself after giving birth.
Healthy Beginning Plus Resources
Let Us Help You Further
Let us help you find more information on healthy beginnings plus services at Grand View Hospital.